Hi and Assalamualaikum,
Preparing food to work can sometimes be quite tricky. I always find myself running out the door each morning without a minute to spare. However, with the living cost rising these days, I don't want to spend RM10 (the least) at some food stall everyday. Imagine how much you can save by bringing your own lunch!
With that in mind, it gets me excited to see easy and practical recipes on the internet to try. In my opinion, this recipe is perfect for either breakfast or lunch. Yes, it's a sandwich recipe yay! Who doesn't love some sandwiches in their lives eh? It's definitely the most perfect finger food there is! Sandwiches are easy to assemble, healthy (depends on your choice of ingredients) and filling!
If you love tuna but am feeling adventurous, skip the tuna can and try out this recipe instead! Chick peas are some of the healthiest legumes you could consume and provide lots of health benefits for us like colon support, healthy fats and also anti-oxidant. Plus, this recipe is very easy and only takes about 30 minutes top (if you already have cooked chick peas, that is). Original recipe HERE.
The measurement of ingredients really depends on personal taste. I plan to store mine in the fridge for a quick breakfast preparation so if you're planning to make only a few pieces, feel free to reduce as you please.
1. 200g chick peas (cooked until tender)
2. 80ml or 5 big spoonful of mayonnaise
3. 1 tbsp of mustard powder (normal creamy type is fine as well)
4. 1 tbsp of celery seeds (can be skipped. Not really that vital, imo)
5. 6 pieces of lime (limau purut) or an equivalent of vinegar
6. 1 piece of seaweed
7. Salt & pepper to taste
*ps: the seaweed replaces the fishy-sea taste you get from tuna
1) Place the chick peas in food processor and pulse, pulse, pulse! Stop and stir frequently while adding the rest of the ingredients bit by bit.
2) Stop when it reaches a consistency that you like. If you like a coarser texture, don't pulse it for too long.
3) Once you got the filling, it's time to assemble your sandwich! I like to grill mine like so. I also like to spread some butter after I flip it on its hot side on the grill. It's also the perfect time to toss in a slice of cheddar cheese and let it melt. For that added nutrient, throw in some of your favorite veggies! I put lettuce on mine. Make sure to dry the veggies properly. Nobody likes soggy sandwiches.
4) Put the top on and voila, your chick pea of the sea sandwich is done!
I know what I will be having this coming weekdays for lunch! What are your go-to lunches? Let me know if you tried this recipe. :) I'd love to know.